Caring for Children with Special Needs
Children with disabilities are nearly four times more likely to be abused than their non-disabled peers. Failure to receive care leads to greater dependency, diminished quality of life, and reduced life expectancy.
In addition, children with complex medical conditions often require daily medical treatments that may disqualify them from enrolling in traditional childcare programs. Without a childcare option, children fall behind developmentally, and a parent may need to stay home to care for their child’s special needs. Low-income single parents are at greater risk of falling into financial distress when an affordable childcare option is unavailable.
Respite Care of San Antonio’s (RCSA) mission is to protect, love, build trust and nurture growth of children with special needs and complex medical conditions while strengthening the families caring for them.
RCSA’s vision is for children with special needs and their families to be empowered to reach their maximum potential.
RCSA fulfills its mission by offering community and residential programs for children with medical and special needs, including 24/7 Residential Children's Homes, Community Respite, and Developmental Childcare Programs.
- We pursue a shared vision.
- We demonstrate a mutual desire for our teammates, the children/families we serve, and our partners to succeed.
- We share the RCSA mission everywhere to everyone.
- We demonstrate caring for others through our words and actions while acknowledging, respecting, and collaborating with everyone we engage.
- We embrace change, challenge, and diversity that promotes personal and organizational growth.
- We realize that trauma is prevalent, and we recognize, respond, and resist re-traumatization.
- We are personally passionate about being our best, being innovative, and forging strong teams and partnerships.
- We learn from mistakes and seek out opportunities for growth and improvement while celebrating our successes.
- We believe that it takes a diverse and inclusive team and many perspectives to achieve outstanding results
- We are accountable, consistent, and honor our commitments.
- We always tell the truth with kindness.
- We demonstrate commitment to the mission, vision, values, policies, procedures, and practices of RCSA.
Respite Care of San Antonio was founded to provide relief to parents & guardians caring for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Davidson House Opens
With funding from the Davidson Family and community, the Davidson Respite House opens its doors to offer emergency respite and serve abused and neglected children with special needs.
RCSA Offers Full-Time Childcare
Full-time childcare was added to help children with special needs and their families reach their full potential.
Medical Program Launches
Through a collaboration with University Health System, nursing care is provided on-site for children in our Children's homes and Community Programs.
Second Respite Home Added
Najim Family Respite Home shelter graciously donated by Harvey E. Najim.
Third Respite Home Opens!
H-E-B Family Respite Home opened thanks to a gift from H-E-B. In the same year, a gift from Cindy & Vincent Dawson created the Dawson Learning Center.
After School Program Launches
An after school program is offered for children with special needs. This helps parents secure work, pursue educational goals, and achieve financial security.
Remote-Learning Center Launched
A remote-learning center was launched on RCSA’s campus when in-person school not available due to COVID-19.